ICOMOS Europe group meeting and ICOMOS Europe group/ISC20C/Nordic-Baltic conference
ICOMOS Europe group meeting and ICOMOS Europe group/ISC20C seminar
18.-22. June in Estonia
ICOMOS Estonia NC and ISC20c cordially invites ICOMOS members to Estonia in June 2023 to the ICOMOS Europe Group meeting and public seminar “Challenges of 20th Century Heritage” accompanied by a study tour. Online participation is enabled for the meeting and seminar.
Supported by ICOMOS Estonia National Committee, Estonian Academy of Arts, Kivitalu
Country Hotel, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, University of Tartu: Libary,
National Foundation of Civil Society, Tallinn City Government, Tartu City Government, GO
Bus, Go Hotel Shnelli.
17.06 Saturday Sightseeing in Tallinn on individual agreements,
18.06 Sunday 12:00 Sightseeing in Tallinn Old Town, UNESCO WH Site;
17:00 Tour in Nõmme suburb;
18:00 Welcome drinks in Nõmme
10:00-13:00 Europe group meeting Part I Estonian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Main focus points: Ukraine; International cooperation; Heritage alerts
14:00-19:00 Tallinn 20th century heritage tour
20.06 Tuesday. Early morning departure to Tartu by bus (185 km)
13.00 Seminar “20th century heritage” in Tartu University Library.
- Riin Alatalu, 20th century heritage in Estonia – update on current challenges
- Tanja D. Conley, Serbia, The Bombed Value. An ongoing revalorization of Nikola
- Arnisa Kryeziu, Kosovo, Learning to live with the architecture of the unwanted pasts: 20th
century architecture of Kosovo
- Jörg Haspel, Germany Art in Architecture – Art in Urban Space. A Berlin Interim Balance on
Interventions in Works of Art on Buildings and in Urban Space from the Socialist Period
- Dumitru Rusu, Romania/Moldova Socialist Modernism in the Baltic Countries. Digital architectural guide and publication
- Jack Pyburn, ISC20C. Current challenges of ISC 20C (online)
- Maria Teresa Iaquinta, Stefania Landi, Cettina Lenza, Italy Erasing or Preserving the
Heritage of the 20th Century: Reflections on the Concepts of Ecological Footprint and
Resource Application to Challenging 20th-Century Heritage Sites in Italy (online)
- Andri Ksenofontov, Estonia Kopli among the earliest modern urban settlements
- Ayşe Esin Kuleli, Turkey An Example of 20th-Century Buildings in the Multilayered Cultural
Texture of Antalya Kaleiçi; Çamlılar House.
- Sonja Ifko, Slovenia Researching, protecting and reusing recent industrial heritage: Case
studies from Slovenia
- Soraya Genin, Portugal Siza Atlas. Filling the gaps for World Heritage: The International
works of Álvaro Siza in Europe
War graves and symbols of occupation
- Tino Mager, Germany Return of the Haunt. Historic memorials as carriers of anti-democratic
- Laure Marique, Belgium How to remember the legacy of Dictatorships and totalitarian regimes
- Arnstein Brekke, Norway, «Operation Asphalt» and War Memorials in Cold War Norway
17:00 Tours in Tartu
20:00 Departure to Vidrike (close to Otepää, 50 km from Tartu)
10:00 EG meeting Part II
ICOMOS University Forum in Europe; EBPD; World Heritage and National Committees; ICHT Charter
15:00 Kääriku, Kobela, Otepää 20th century heritage; Hellenurme watermill.
22.06 Thursday Tour 20th century heritage in rural areas, end in Tallinn at 19:00. (adjustable individual arrangements possible if needed for departures)
Viljandi city, Ugala theatre and firehouse; Raikküla Cultural Centre; Rapla KEK; Kurtna experimental poultry research centre
Please note: Participation fee 200 euros for the program and accommodation 20.-22.06
Call for abstracts:
Seminar “20th century heritage” in Tartu University Library.
– dissonant post-war monuments and memorial buildings
– young/recent (concrete) heritage as ecological resource
– special session on Nordic-Baltic dissonant Heritage
- The deadline for the abstract is March 31st.
- Abstract: 300 words + short bio
- Please send the abstract to email@example.com
- Priority is given to presenters who will participate at the seminar in situ